We are still exploring and experimenting with how to use the VTech Innotab 3S but it has certainly opened my eyes to the possibilities of incorporating technology a little more. I downloaded some little number and alphabet games and I was pleasantly surprised with the themes and learning focus and how
Ruby preferred the ebooks, using the camera and the art apps. She found some of the games a little difficult, although was able to do them with my help. A few more months and a little more fine motor practise with using the stylus and I think she would be at the level of her sister though.
Using tablets as a learning tool at home and in care environments….
- Using the Innotab 3S (or any other) tablet is a new opportunity to introduce some intentional learning by teaching the children how to look after a new piece of equipment…hands to be washed and dry, returning it to its special place which I will need to designate and fostering a sense of responsibility through these tasks.
- Use accurate words and terminology with children when introducing and using a new device.
- Use apps and programs that will encourage problem solving and cognitive opportunities; making sure those apps purchased are not only appropriate but worthwhile too. Check to see if there are options included to track children’s progress.
- Initiate clear guidelines about times when the tablet can be used during the day and monitor engagement time and use.
- Include children in developing strategies for using the tablet as a group and how you might avoid arguments and ‘sharing’ issues.
- Allow children to utilise the camera to take photos on walks around the garden outside or to capture the fun friends are having during play. Encourage children to use the video to capture their own stories about their play and share with the group at a later time.
- As an educator, initiate methods to monitor children’s progress and engagement levels on the tablet or other form of technology and then adjust future learning experiences and tasks accordingly. Look at the feedback options included in most apps
- Use ebook animations to offer visual support to action words and complement paperback stories read within the group to inspire additional discussion and a new way of looking at characters and storylines.
- Ensure a balance of parent/educator choice of activities with child led discovery and learning.
- Use tools such as the VTech Innotab 3S console to promote social interaction by planning small group activities that encourage collaboration and problem solving.
Do you use technology with your own children or in your curriculum planning as an educator?
How would you like to get your hands on one just in time for Christmas? The wonderful people at VTech have 1 of the newly launched Innotab 3S consoles (It also comes in blue) to give away to readers of Mummy Musings and Mayhem.
How would your child use the Innotab 3S?
The answer deemed most creative will be the winner of their very own VTech Innotab 3S (RRP $189) to share with the kids.
Competition is open to Australian residents only
The competition ends and comments close at 5pm (AEST) on Tuesday 5th November 2013. The winner will be notified by email so please make sure to leave your address when commenting (you can post as anonymous and leave your details that way too )
I will update this post with the winning comment after the competition has closed and also share on Facebook.