Fine motor muscle strengthening and hand/eye coordination are skills that are important to focus on , especially for toddlers, but that doesn’t mean that we as educators and parents need to provide detailed and expensive activities to target these skills…you can always do it through the magic of simple play based learning!
Here’s what you need…
- A few medium wash bowls/tubs or a large water play trough/tub
- Different shaped and sized whisks
- Dishwashing detergent or hand soap
- Warm or cold water
- Paint powder dyes or food colouring (optional)
Here’s what you do…..
I always like to involve toddlers in the packing up/cleaning process as this is also an important skill to learn and one that they usually enjoy as they love to feel useful!
In reality they did of course make more mess than was originally there but look at that concentration and focus on getting the job done! When they went down for their rest I just came back and hosed the table and sponges and left everything in the sun to dry…easy!
What does a child experience with this simple activity?
- A sense of pride and self worth as they explore a new skill.
- They are practising their pre writing skills
- They are expressing themselves creatively
- They are strengthening their fine motor muscles, control and coordination.
- They are learning about cause and effect
- They are using their thinking and reasoning skills to problem solve.
- They are communicating and using descriptive language.
- They are recognising and naming colours
- They are exploring with their senses
- They are happy and HAVING FUN in their own way…but they are learning!