- A few medium wash bowls/tubs or a large water play trough/tub
- Different shaped and sized whisks
- Dishwashing detergent or hand soap
- Warm or cold water
- Paint powder dyes or food colouring (optional)
Here's what you do…..
I always like to involve toddlers in the packing up/cleaning process as this is also an important skill to learn and one that they usually enjoy as they love to feel useful!
In reality they did of course make more mess than was originally there but look at that concentration and focus on getting the job done! When they went down for their rest I just came back and hosed the table and sponges and left everything in the sun to dry…easy!
What does a child experience with this simple activity?
- A sense of pride and self worth as they explore a new skill.
- They are practising their pre writing skills
- They are expressing themselves creatively
- They are strengthening their fine motor muscles, control and coordination.
- They are learning about cause and effect
- They are using their thinking and reasoning skills to problem solve.
- They are communicating and using descriptive language.
- They are recognising and naming colours
- They are exploring with their senses
- They are happy and HAVING FUN in their own way…but they are learning!
How does your toddler like to play with water? Find more water play ideas HERE.
Why not join our Empowered Educator Facebook Community to connect with educators around the world. Join HERE.
If you enjoyed this post why not PIN IT to Pinterest
A Little About Me
Jodie Clarke is an early childhood professional supporting educators who want and need to stay passionate about the work they do! She has 30 years hands-on experience in the early childhood and human services sectors across many different roles.
Jodie is mum to 3 in Australia and has already helped thousands of educators with their work through her popular blog posts, activity ideas, online training and e-books.
This looks like a blast! I will have to see what I can find at Grandma and Grandpa’s house this weekend. 😀
Hello I just wanted to say how much my 2 year old loves all the activities on your fabulous website. It’s great to find simple and cost effective activities for my toddler since his second birthday I found it increasingly difficult to keep busy and also learning at the same time. From one aussie mum to another thank you and keep up the amazing work. Bye
Thanks so much for your feedback Emma! i truly believe play doesn’t need to be expensive or too much work! So glad your 2 yr old is loving the activities, it can be hard to keep 2 year olds busy, they have such short attention spans!
I just wanted to say thank you! I think this is the best website that I have come across! You cover all the bases! As a new dayhome provider, I really appreciate that!!
Thanks so much Rose, that is wonderful and I’m so glad I can help, hope your daycare journey is going well!