Here’s what you need
- Beans, rice or anything else you have going out of date in the cupboard that makes a noise!
- Some small bottles with lids (make sure the opening is wide enough for little fingers to poke through though)
- Tweezers/spoons/tongs/scoops (formula scoops are great by the way!)
- A tray to hold the bottles steady while they fill is a good idea.
immediately they all had a try and used them in different ways.
Squeezing and releasing to pick up the beans was the first goal, the next was squeezing and holding using their fine motor muscles to transfer.
They watched each other and tried to copy actions…
What does a child experience with this simple activity?
- A sense of pride and self worth as they explore a new skill.
- They are practising their pre writing skills
- They are expressing themselves creatively
- They are extending upon an interest and actually finding a way to achieve an end goal.
- They are strengthening their fine motor muscles, control and coordination.
- They are learning about using sustainable materials and recycling.
- They are using their thinking and reasoning skills to problem solve.
- They are communicating and using descriptive language.
- They are making music and different sounds.
- They are counting and naming colours (beans)
- They are happy and HAVING FUN in their own way…but they are learning!